Rules of transferring from other universities:
Students looking to transfer to the Arab International University will be officially registered at the university only after they submit all the certified documents required and after the approval of the university council regarding the equivalent subjects/courses.
Parallel Transferring-(from a non-Syrian university to AIU):
Syrian and non-Syrian students registered at public/private non-Syrian universities can apply for a Parallel Transfer to private Syrian universities through the prerequisites listed below:
1. The university the student is transferring from must be recognized in its country as well as in Syria. If the university is not recognized, the student cannot be transferred.
2. Student's grade average should be no less than 10% of the averages specified in Article (1) declared by the Ministry of Higher Education's Act No. (306), dated 28.06.2011, taking into account the residency prerequisites (8 months throughout an academic year). Also, the student's grade averages should be no less than 50%.
3. The certificate of the transferring student must comply with the rules of the university he or she wishes to apply.
4. The student must have passed the first academic year in the university they wish to transfer from before applying to transfer to a new one, and that is according to whether the university the student is transferring from adopts the annual/semester system or the credit hour system, in which the student must have performed at least 25 credit hours to have passed.
5. If a student has met the required grade average specified in the year of admission and sought to transfer to a private Syrian university, he/she will have the right to apply for transfer regardless of the number of credit hours performed, taking into account the terms and conditions of residency.
6. Students enrolled at private universities shall have the right to apply for parallel transfer, from universities inside or outside of Syria only once during their academic study.
Parallel Transfer (inside Syria):
Students enrolled at Syrian universities (public/private) can apply for transfer to private universities in Syria through the prerequisites listed below:
1. Students should meet the required grade average specified in their high school certificate in the year of admission.
2. Transferring students should have studied at least one semester at the university they wish to transfer from.
Changing registration (changing majors in the same university or from another university):
For a student to change his or her major, their high school grades must meet the grade requirements specified in their high school certificate the year they get accepted, in order for them to enrol in a specific major.
Please note: The credit hour exemptions must not exceed the following percentages:
1. In case a student had moved/passed to the 2nd academic year, he/she will be exempted from a maximum of 10% of credit hours.
2. In case a student had moved/passed to the 3rd academic year, he/she will be exempted from a maximum of 15% of credit hours.
3. In case a student had moved/passed to the 4th academic year, he/she will be exempted from a maximum of 20% of credit hours.
4. Students are exempted from university and faculty courses which they had successfully passed if their enrollment changes concern the majors of one faculty within the same university. The number of credit hours specified must be no less than the number of credit hours specified for the major the student wishes to change their enrollment to. The student's grade average must also be at least /2/.
Admission based on higher education degrees:
University students who carry a higher education degree (Masters or Doctorate) may be admitted to private universities through the following prerequisites:
1. The student's major must cohere with the major he/she wishes to enroll in and this is in accordance with the regulations declared by the ministry of higher education.
2. Student's average grading in his/her institute diploma must be at least graded "good".
3. Student registrations will be accepted regardless of their university degree average if his/her high school certificate is equal to the grade average required for admission in the year of admission.
4. Students in both cases mentioned above shall be viewed according on the basis of graduation.
5. Exemptions in faculties adopting the credit hour system must not exceed 25% of the credit hours adopted by the faculty the student is looking to enroll in. And exemptions in faculties adopting the annual/semester system must not exceed 1year. This is according to the competent university council's discretion in compliance with the exemption decision issued by the university council. However, students holding a university degree in Biology may be admitted in the faculty of Pharmacy on condition that the rate of the exemption of credit hours should not exceed 35%.
Private universities allow the admission of excluded and discontinued students in state universities taking into account the following prerequisites:
1. The student's high school certificate average must comply with the grade average specified for the major he/she wishes to enroll in.
2. Changing of students' registration and similar transfers will be applied as required.
3. Students should provide evidence of their registration suspension at the university that they have been excluded from.
4. AIU will not admit students who have been expelled for disciplinary reasons.
5. Excluded/discontinued students registered in private universities are not allowed to return to state universities under any circumstances. If the student in any case does, their enrollment in both universities will be canceled and no university documents from either of the universities will be given.
6. The academic period in private universities for excluded/discontinued students is to be considered in accordance with the credit hours adopted in the student's state university. 16 credit hours are equal to one semester.
7. Students with computer science degrees from the Faculty of Informatics Engineering and the Faculty of Information Technology in private Syrian universities are admitted only if the credit hour exemptions do not exceed 35%.
1. Students are admitted to the university according to the previous terms and the number of students admitted are calculated according to the number specified by the university each year.
2. The transferring student is exempted from the course he/she had achieved successfully in the previously mentioned cases according to the following conditions:
- They had achieved the amount of hours specified by the state university.
- Their course equivalence is no less that 75%.
- The point average of the student is no less than (2/4) or 60% according to the percentage system.
3. Students will not graduate from private universities unless they achieve two academic years (at least) according to the year/semester system, or a minimum of 40% of credit hours according to the credit hour system.
4. Students my only obtain their degree if their courses are equivalent according to the universities' regulations. The equivalent courses are not included in the average.
5. Students who are admitted on the basis of a university degree are not allowed to transfer or change their admission or enrollment from: open, virtual, correspondence or distance learning, to private universities.
6. The student's current major must cohere with the major he/she wishes to enroll in according to the regulations stated by the ministry of higher education.
7. Studying in a state and a private university simultaneously is not allowed.